The Soul Cycle's Dillinger SS 29er is complete! The bike weighs in as pictured (including seatbag w/ tube, multi-tool, 2 levers, 2 CO2 and gun, small chain piece) at 25.8lbs!!! I'll try to take better pics later.
I'm very happy with the final weight. Not that I was gram counting. The bike is built (see right of blog) with ripoff parts from my old FS rig along with cheaper parts.
This morning was the first ride and it was AWESOME. I took it to a short loop in Boulder called Betasso. This gave me all singletrack with some steep climbs and a little technical downhill with a little technical climbing as well. I have officially jumped the 29er bandwagon. The trail never felt so smooth even though I was on a fully rigid bike. I was more "line" conscious, but, riding a single speed is the best choice I have ever made. Nothing feels better that to look at a long climb and say "here we go!!!". Stand up when I have to and coast when I have to. No thinking about gears...just me and my steed.
Overall the frame rides very well and I am really happy with the rigid steel fork. The fork felt compliant with the 29er wheels and the bike gripped well with I had to stand and hammer. I clipped a pedal this morning and then read that I can adjust the EBB to lift the crankset up a little for more clearance. I have a few things to dial in yet such as adjust EBB, seat fore/aft and stem choice. I cut the fork with a lot of spacers so I may flip the stem upside down for now if I want to get more agressive.
I'll have more write-ups in the future, but, overall I can't wait to tackle all the same trails again in a whole new light!
p.s. With the recent arrival of my son and lack of exercise this season has been a waste. I am currently my heaviest in a long time. I think I can shed a good 15-20lbs before next season which should allow me to get more agressive with my cog teeth choices.
2 comments:
"I'm very happy with the final weight. Not that I was gram counting."
That comment right there... LMAO..
ok,
now, go to the garage and remove the spacers from under the stem and place them on of it, if you like it, cut the damn thing and get on with riding.
Nice looking bike btw, I really want to go single speed as well.
You planning on riding (sleeping with) this bike in the 24hours in the old pueblo?
How much have you rode since this post?
I'll try the spacer idea. good call.
I only rode once, that's all my out of shape body can do at the moment.
I plan on riding this at the O.P. if we do it again. Its my only mtb. Had to retire the old FS P.O.S.
Next step is to gauge progress (strength) and get a few more cog choices.
Post a Comment