Awesome weekend here in the front range. Weather was great. Saturday consisted of mostly house and yard work. Finally cut down some dead aspen trees and cut them up and dropped them off at the recycling plant to turn them into mulch.
Sunday, I hit some good old trails! Went to Heil Ranch in north Boulder. This would be my first technical (rocky) test for the rigid SS 29er. The bike climbs awesome. I am out of shape compared to this time last year and I think I made it to the top of the loop in about the same time as I usually do. The Single Speed and hardtail combo makes it an awesome climber. No shifting delays, just hammer down! My legs are feeling it a little today but not too bad (a good fatigue).
On the way back down is when I really leanred what the rigid is all about. I also learned that I need a longer stem. I was too compact and the steering felt extra twitchy, so, on a tight turn on the way down I hooked it into a boulder and flew over the bars. I wasn't going too fast but a sore wrist shoulder and knee is a nice wake-up call today.
Overall the ride was great and I LOVE the climbing, especially in technical sections. The bobbing feeling I used to get on the FS is gone and I fly over things that used to provided a bouncing ride.
As far as the rocky downhill goes, I need to get new grips that don't slip, tighten my headset and get a longer stem. More riding and more weights this off-season will help with the arm fatigue.
I was VERY pleased with the new steed! something about building it up yourself makes the ride more enjoyable. I also like all the whispers and surprise looks I got when passing groups (taking rests) going up the trail as they talked about my rigid SS while hunched over their heavy, overpriced FS rigs.
Forgot the camera, so, hopefully next time I can post some pics!!
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment