Well I finally did it!!!! I researched bikes for a while to build up an HT SS 29er. I was leaning towards a Vassago Jabberwocky, but, in the end I found a bike with some great reviews and the price point was too good to pass up considering its my first SS build (also its offices are in Scottsdale and Tempe AZ!!). I went with a Soul Cycles Dillinger 29er. I was initially hesitant because its Easton Aluminum which I am afraid it may beat me up too mych on the endurance stuff. But, with some clever rear triangle design the Dillinger should work great. I measured for a small which unfortunately only has one bottle cage mount do to sizing, but, that will be easily taken care of with a strap bottle mount on the bottom of the downtube.
I also purchased their second generation rigid fork which has also gotten some really good feedback on various blogs and review websites. The fram is on a promo special right now for $245 and the fork promo is $30. So, this price point can't be beat and is worth the money. Eventually I want to get a squishy front like a Reba 29 but in the mean time the rigid will suffice. For $30 who wouldn't want one...even as a back-up!!
I am gonna try and rip parts off the FS and get it ready ASAP. Should be a fun project for the end of this season. With the cost of metals rising rapidly and slow economy the time was now to make the purchase even if it hangs for a while.
The only item I really NEED that cost substantial money is a set of 29er MTB wheels and tires. I still have a $100 gift card to performance (thanks bro) so that should get me mostly there. I just want a pair of middle of the road rip-offs (from a complete build) through a discount website. That's how I got my WTB wheels for my FS and they were around $200. If I really like the SS for racing then I will look into a hand built pair in 2010 or so (maybe from www.lacemine29.com).
Another cool feature is that it has removable v-brake mounts. So, disc brakes at first but the mounts are there and are rack compatible with oldmanmountain racks. Also, the rear dropout is replacable with a geared version too in case the SS thing doesn't work out.
I'll post pics as soon as it arrives!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment